Posted on March 05 2019
In the lifetime of your human hair wig there will come a time the hair will lose its soft natural bounce. Your human hair wig will begin to feel dry and stiff.
If your human hair wig is starting to get tricky and a nightmare to manage we have a solution for you.
This is for those who often wear 100% human hair wigs, because human hair wigs do not have any natural scalp oils to keep the hair moisturized the wig will need to be maintained regularly.
The better quality your wig, and the more attention you pay towards looking after them, the longer they will last, however this will not protect them from the inevitable deterioration they will face over time.
Why Human Hair Wigs Become Dry And Tangled?
This is what we absolutely hate to deal with, however, the problem is inevitable due to the nature of human hair that is not growing in its natural scalp environment. So, its best to education consumers why this happens and how to properly care for your human hair wig.
There are many different factors that can cause this to happen:
▪ Poor quality of hair
▪ Lack of natural oils
▪ Hard water exposure can cause them to become dry or damaged hair extensions fade.
▪ Sun exposure can damage the hair extensions by making them brittle.
▪ Chlorine exposure can also cause hair extensions become unmanageable.
▪ Seawater exposure can damage the hair extensions in much the same way as hard water and chlorine.
All of these factors play a significant role in why your human hair wig can become dry and unmanageable.
How Do I Make My Human Hair Wig Soft Again?
Human hair wigs of all qualities, brands and origins will change throughout the time you’re are wearing them, however they can be revived with the correct care to restore their manageability and appearance.
Items You Will Need
- Moisturizing Conditioner
- Deep Conditioner
- Shower cap
- Thermal protector spray
- Hair dryer
- Flat iron or hair curler
If your lace wigs are looking tired, you can help bring them back to life with a few quick and easy steps.
Step 1: Pre Wash
Give the human hair wig a conditioning treatment by applying a natural oil such as coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil or grape-seed oil along the entire length. Alternatively, apply the moisturizing conditioner to the hair. Leave either the oil or conditioner in the hair for 30 minutes under a shower cap.
Step 2: Washing your Wig
Wash the human hair wig with a moisturizing shampoo. Use your fingers to carefully clean the scalp between tracks and rinse thoroughly.
Step 3: Moisturize your Human Hair Wig
Apply moisturizing conditioner from scalp base to hair tips and apply extra conditioner to the ends. Allow the conditioner to sit for two to five minutes before rinsing thoroughly. When rinsing, cautiously undo any tangles in the weave with your fingers or with a comb. We recommend using Silicon Mix for human hair wigs and hair extensions.
Step 4: Conditioning your Human Hair Wig
Apply a deep conditioner and leave on for 15 minutes or more. Wear a shower cap to trap heat and aid in the conditioning or sit under a dryer. Once conditioned, rinse thoroughly, use fingers to untangle and squeeze out all excess water.
Comb out the hair and allow it to air dry for approximately 15 to 20 minutes. Apply a moisturizing product along the entire length and apply extra to the ends. Also apply a dime-sized amount of thermal product to protect hair during the styling process.
Step 5: Drying your Human Hair Wig
Blow-dry hair with low heat using a comb to aid hair drying. Follow up with a brush to straighten.
Style hair with a flat iron for a straight hair look or with a curling iron to produce curls and waves. Start from the front of your head and work backwards until entire head is completed.
Step 6: When You Sleep
Wrap a silk or satin scarf around your head at night to keep hair from drying out on cotton pillow cases and bed sheets. Alternatively, use silk or satin pillowcases and bed sheets.
Human Hair wigs can last a lot longer than synthetics, but that's only If you take proper care of them. The proper care of your human hair wig will keep it looking new.
How To Care For A Human Hair Wig?
Washing and Conditioning A Human Hair Wig
- Rinse with cool to luke warm water. (Water should be at room temperature or slightly warmer.)
- Apply a very small drop of high quality mild shampoo to the wet hair (avoid the scalp area). Do NOT rub the hair or scalp as you would with your own.
- Comb the shampoo through the hair from top to bottom using gentle downward strokes one section at a time. Do not scrub the hair.
- Gently apply some of the soapy water to the inside of the cap. Do not scrub the cap.
- Rinse again with cool to luke warm water from the top down and from the inside of the cap to remove excess shampoo.
- Gently blot hair with a towel.
- You may now apply some conditioner to the damp hair. Avoid the scalp area as the conditioner can loosen the knots.
- Flush out some of the cool cap conditioning only allows a small amount of hair left in the interior of lukewarm water.
Prevent Human Hair Wig Tangles
- Occasionally, the wig may be entangled or nape (neck), because the back and shoulder region of the friction junction upward. Thinner hair more likely is that it will gather - this is completely normal.
- Prevent tangles, the best way is to brush a wig and a small drop of oil used each time to complete each day. It really is very important to maintain a healthy wig and prevent dry hair and struggle, because it does not receive the natural oils from the head.